[Talk-us] Whole world files

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Tue May 25 15:06:58 BST 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 9:45 AM, F Hillhouse Jr
<f.hillhouse.jr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I just joined this list. I looking forward to learning more about what is
> going on and providing help somewhere in the future.
>
> In the meantime, I found files for the whole world and also for some limited
> areas. What I was looking for was files specifically for the USA. I was
> thinking along the lines of grid squares, like FN43 (maidenhead).
>
> Does anyone know if these subsets might be available?
>
> As a follow up, if I downloaded a world file and unzipped it, would the
> directories and files be in the "slippy" format?
>
> Downloading the entire world is pretty much pointless for me since I spend
> my time in the 6 states of New England (ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT).
>
> Thank you for considering my questions!

Hi Fred, and welcome.

There are subsets that we call 'extracts' of the planet file available
for smaller areas of interest.  Some tips and background here.
http://weait.com/content/openstreetmap-extracts
http://weait.com/content/combine-openstreetmap-extracts

When you download the planet, or extracts, they are usually in OSM's
xml format.  So, no, not images for a slippy map.  Other formats are
available, like pre-built files for Garmin GPS receivers, and others.

So, welcome again and enjoy.