[Talk-us] Whole world files

F Hillhouse Jr f.hillhouse.jr at gmail.com
Fri May 28 20:22:24 BST 2010

> Sent: Friday, May 28, 2010 15:06

> On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Richard Weait
> <richard at weait.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 12:42 PM, Fred Hillhouse

> [ ... ]
> > I'll have a quick look here and see how much time and space
> it would
> > take me to create those tiles for you.  I'll let you know shortly.
>
> Using bbox = (-73.58,41.03, -69.9,45.03) includes CT, VT, NH,
> RI but cuts off a lot of empty ocean, and most of Maine.
>
> Rendering z12 took 2.2 minutes and 34MB,
>
> so guesstimate says
>
> z13 8.8 min 136MB
> z14 35.2 min 544MB
> z15 140.8 min 2176MB
> z16 563.2 min 8704MB
> z17 2252.8 min 34816MB
> z18 9011.2 min 139264MB
>
> z12 to z18 inclusive about 200 hours of rendering time and
> 186GB of image files.
>
> Expanding the bounding box to include all of Maine, (and all
> that empty ocean, plus some Quebec and New Brunswick) would
> double or triple the totals.
>
> If you would like those z12 tiles I generated (34MB), you'll
> find them here http://weait.com/tiles12.tar.gz

Hi Richard,

It is downloading now. Thank you!

Wow! I didn't not realize what that added up to. I guess it brings up the
question of how people can use this mobile when tiles are the map source.

I will have to ping the author for a better indicator of the zoom level I am
looking at. It doesn't seem to make sense to have every zoom level.

Thanks again!
Fred