[Talk-us] Tagging bicycle anti-routes

Dale Puch dale.puch at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 19:37:37 GMT 2010

As with many OSM tags, there are objective items to begin the
categorization.  The final decision though will be at least partly
subjective.   Class:bicycle is a good start.  Perhaps list specific features
as a base for the ranking, then things that would drop that to lower
rankings.

An example of what I mean for starting values.

separate paved bike/general path = +3
road with bike lane = +2
road with bike route= +1
road with a good shoulder / bike friendly sidewalk = 0
?=-1
?=-2
Limited access highway = -3 (should normally be no bike access anyhow)

Then start to look for other factors that would lower the ranking.

Frequent stop signs against the route. -0.2 (what is frequent)
Roadside parking -1 (or 1.5)
Busy road -0.7 (how to measure)
poor surface -0.5 (how to measure)
Small or no shoulder -1
User bias from +1 to -1 to adjust for local differences from the suggested
standard.

Add that up and round to the nearest whole number.

Building the above recommendations will take time, and have to be rebalanced
so they actually fit most situations.  Work out starting recomendations,
then tag an area and see how it matches with bikers opinions.  Adjust the
recommendations and try again, perhaps another area to make sure it fits
multiple situations.

I think up to about 10 or 15 things to possibly consider would be good.
Beyond that it will be too much information and too complicated for the
average person.  If it takes more than about 20 seconds to decide the value
it is probably too complex a system.

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Toby Murray <toby.murray at gmail.com> wrote:

> Someone in my area decided to try and make a bicycle map. He used this
> scheme:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Class:bicycle
>
> And rendered this map:
>
> http://bikemanhattan.info/
>
> Now I know people are going to complain that this is a subjective tag
> and that it shouldn't be in OSM. And I don't entirely disagree... but
> oh well. It worked for him and I don't dislike the results he got from
> it.
>
> Toby
>
> On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 9:31 AM, Leroy E Leonard <leeoncandler at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > In Decatur, Georgia, Bike Decatur, the city government and recreation
> > departments and fellow OSMers are working together to create a bike
> > suitability map with suggested routes in the area. This is a snapshot of
> the
> > map in progress:
> >

> https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B_hqPUZzUTJMZjQwZmIzYzgtMjM3Yi00YjczLTk0ZjktNjdmZmQ2ODZlYjgy&hl=en
> >
> > [ Here's the data rendered in Cycle Map:
> > http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33.7718&lon=-84.2935&zoom=14&layers=C]
> >

> > The next step is tagging "tricky" intersections and sections of roadway
> > where cyclist should exercise extra caution. Any recommendations for
> tagging
> > these anti-features?
> >
> > Any feedback or questions on the project in general are welcome.
> >
> >  -- Lee

Dale Puch