[Talk-us] Proposal: delete census-designated place polygons

Daniel Sabo danielsabo at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 04:23:57 GMT 2010

I would oppose deleting them. They do have real world significance because they represent community boundaries in unincorporated areas, and the name that you would use to search for an address these communities. McKinleyville, CA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McKinleyville,_California) is as much a defined community as Arcata or Eureka to the south of it even if it only exists on the map as a CDP.

Place nodes are worse than useless as demonstrated by the associations Nominatim generates from them. (e.g. it thinks my home street is part of a trailer park several miles away). If you think the boundaries are wrong move them (or even better ask people on the ground what the name of the place they live is, which is probably how the census ended up with them in the first place).