[Talk-us] Proposal: delete census-designated place polygons

Lord-Castillo, Brett BLord-Castillo at stlouisco.com
Fri Nov 12 14:55:09 GMT 2010

Um, actually, I am talking about a disagreement on the order of 500+ sq mi difference between the agencies on what constitutes "St Louis"

As for the boundary disputes, lots do not go to boundary dispute, as they are simply resolved by taxing jurisdiction. Most boundary disputes are on the scale of 40-160 acres, but we have had some as large as 60+ sq mi (which ended with an incorporation vote to resolve it).

The only real difference with a boundary dispute is that there are officially recorded documents that can serve as evidence of the boundaries. Of course, these conflict wildly (and sometimes for decades). It can take a court case to decide which document is correct; and these documents are rarely used for defining OSM boundaries anyway.

Brett Lord-Castillo
Information Systems Designer/GIS Programmer
St. Louis County Police
Office of Emergency Management
14847 Ladue Bluffs Crossing Drive
Chesterfield, MO 63017