[Talk-us] Boundaries of cities used in postal addresses?

Lord-Castillo, Brett BLord-Castillo at stlouisco.com
Fri Nov 12 14:45:49 GMT 2010

We try to maintain zip code boundaries using existing parcel boundaries and a list of known addresses that we get from the postal service every quarter. Zip codes do change significantly on a quarterly basis though, depending on new addresses, retired addresses, vacant addresses, PO box demand, and delivery demand. To add to this, zip codes are clearly not contiguous with themselves. They very definitely skip around, sometimes even skipping around among addresses within a parcel (and even more so when you get into the ZIP+4, which is what you need to assign specific community names). Even with full time people working on it, it is a nightmare that we only really do every couple of years for ~500 sq mi.
It is possible, but certainly not easy.

Brett Lord-Castillo
Information Systems Designer/GIS Programmer
St. Louis County Police
Office of Emergency Management
14847 Ladue Bluffs Crossing Drive
Chesterfield, MO 63017