[Talk-us] Proposal: delete census-designated place polygons

Zeke Farwell ezekielf at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 14:31:28 GMT 2010

In my area some of the CDP boundaries do correspond to official
administrative boundaries, and others do not.  Deleting them all statewide
would remove some good data.  The data is good though, and the ones that
aren't real boundaries usually are real places.  For example there are
several boundaries around small villages.  The name of the village is
correct and the size of the polygon is accurate, but there is no official
boundary between said village and the surrounding township.  They are
governed by one body.  In these cases I'm thinking of removing the boundary
tags and just leaving place=village maybe with landuse=residential.

As for your proposal about Florida, Nathan, I think you should go ahead and
remove any polygons you know to be totally bogus.  I imagine there are some
that belong as places, just not as boundaries, though.

Zeke