[Talk-us] Project of the Week: Project Hotspot

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Wed Nov 17 23:17:02 GMT 2010

Hi Mappers!

I don't usually send project of the Week announcements to talk lists.
Should I?  See the poll here to let me know what you think.
http://weait.com/content/send-project-week-announcements-talk-us

This PotW relates especially to US landmarks and is a guest project
from Ant Pegg at MapQuest.  He proposes that we map some cool US
landmarks so well, that MapQuest will have to feature them.  I don't
know about you but I'm a little envious that there are open.mapquest.*
sites for several other countries but that we here in North America
don't quite make the grade yet.

But I also see that as a challenge.  So, can we rise to this
challenge?  Can we map the landmarks near us?

Ideally, I'd like to see one or two mappers near each of the landmarks
on Ant's list lead the charge on this.  Go mapping on site, take a lot
of photos, save track files, etc.  Maybe turn it in to a local project
to map a few blocks surrounding the landmarks as well.  We don't want
to miss any tourist traps do we? ;-)

Those of us away from the landmarks on Ant's list can still
participate, of course.  Map something similar that is near you!  Get
some more mappers together, do a great job, then show Ant what for!
Campaign to have your local amusement park added to the list.

Best regards,
Richard