[Talk-us] State Route relations (was: Highway Tagging Consensus to Improve OSM (and address some of 41 latitude's concerns))

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 13:44:04 BST 2010

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 12:41 AM, Peter Budny <peterb at gatech.edu> wrote:

> So far, it seems to be something like
> type=route
> route=road
> network=US:NY  <- state abbreviation
> ref=87         <- number only
> symbol=*
>
> or for county roads,
> network=US:NY:Albany  <- full county name

As I pointed out closer to the top of this thread (before it changed
subjects) I think we need to have a tag to specify what kind of route it is.
Simply specifying the network isn't enough. That's like specifying the
name=* tag on a way without specifying the highway=*.

> One thing I /haven't/ seen addressed yet is whether single relations are
> preferred, or one relation for each way with a super-relation.
> Currently both are in use, but I think it would be a lot easier for
> future code if we pick one and move towards it from now on.

If you look at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Interstate_Highway_relations
you'll
see that there are different relations for each state (and sometimes groups
of states). This is done simply to make it easier to edit the relations. As
Mike N. said, the relation should be for the road with the roles specifying
direction when the route is split.