Anthony osm at inbox.org
Mon Oct 18 22:54:10 BST 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 5:46 PM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 5:37 PM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:

>>> I for one would consider that to be vandalism.
>>
>> Perhaps, but you'd be wrong.
>
> I would also consider it to be vandalism.

Okay, so you'd be wrong too.

> The ref tags on ways, if nothing else, provide a level of redundancy.

The fact that they provide redundancy is one of the things that's
wrong with them.

> It's too easy to accidentally break a relation;

Agreed.  And until that gets fixed, we should at least be able to see
on the map when such breakage occurs.  Hiding the breakage helps no
one.  And if relations break more than ref tags on ways, then
renderers are going to use the ref tags on ways, which means they're
never going to get it right.

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 5:48 PM, Alex Mauer <hawke at hawkesnest.net> wrote:
> On 10/18/2010 04:41 PM, Anthony wrote:
>> And, in fact, that attitude is exactly why the maps currently suck.
>
> And having no shields at all is a big improvent.  Oh, wait, it’s not.

No, it's a step toward fixing the current mess.

> In what strange alternate universe do you live where deleting valid
> information which is stored following the current documented system, is not
> vandalism?

First of all, the ref tags aren't valid.  The numbers are references
of *routes*, not of *ways*.

Secondly, they are redundant.  In what strange alternative universe do
you live in where deleting redundant information is vandalism?