Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Tue Oct 19 20:27:47 BST 2010

On 10/18/2010 09:53 PM, Peter Budny wrote:
> Ian Dees<ian.dees at gmail.com>  writes:
>> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Alex Mauer<hawke at hawkesnest.net>  wrote:
>>      For relations I agree, but for ways this doesn’t work.  And as renderers
>>      can only handle ways for now…
>>
>> This is a data project, not a renderer project.

It’s actually kinda both.  Without the renderers, the data is useless
(at least for making a map—analysis is still useful)

>>If the renderers aren't doing
>> the right thing then we need to make them do the right thing.
>
> +1

+1 from me as well.

> Continuing to use ref= tags at all when we have relations that represent
> a much cleaner way to tag roads is a terrible case of tagging for the
> renderer.  I think it's premature to remove ref tags, but I don't see
> any point in adding them to new ways, rather than just creating a
> relation.

If you want them to actually appear on this map we’re making, you kind
of need to add them to new ways until renderers support the new system.
  If you don’t care whether or not they appear on the map, what’s the
point of adding them?

—Alex Mauer “hawke”