Anthony osm at inbox.org
Tue Oct 19 21:09:09 BST 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 3:53 PM, Alex Mauer <hawke at hawkesnest.net> wrote:
> On 10/19/2010 02:37 PM, Anthony wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Alex Mauer<hawke at hawkesnest.net>  wrote:
>>>
>>> And I agree that street relations are a better option in the long run, if
>>> little silly for the majority of cases where a street consists of a
>>> single
>>> way (and also a usability nightmare in editors).  But I also don’t think
>>> that removing the names from every way in the hopes that someone will
>>> notice
>>> the problem and fix the renderer would be the right way to go.
>>
>> I certainly wouldn't recommend removing the names from the ways until
>> you have the names in the relations.  At the point where you do, sure,
>> they should be removed.  The idea that no one will ever create a
>> renderer which uses the names in the relations is ludicrous.
>
> Agreed, but that does us little good when we’re trying to make a map in the
> present, using the tools we have now.

That's not what I'm trying to do, because I don't see the point in
trying to do that.  There are much better places for me to get maps in
the present.  OSM, to me at least, is about the data, and how it can
be used in the future.  Especially in the United States.

>> It would
>> be trivial to write a preparser <snip explanation>
>
> Sounds good.  Why hasn’t it been done, then?

Because it's unnecessary, because no one has removed the ref tags from the ways.

It's also more difficult to write the preparser when you have
contradictory information on the ways.  Part of the process of
removing the information from the ways would be to reconcile
inconsistencies and decide which of the two pieces of information is
correct and which is incorrect.