Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Tue Oct 19 21:35:34 BST 2010

On 10/19/2010 03:09 PM, Anthony wrote:
 >> Agreed, but that does us little good when we’re trying to make a map
in the
 >> present, using the tools we have now.
 >
 > That's not what I'm trying to do, because I don't see the point in
 > trying to do that.

…you may want to consider some other project, then.

 >>> It would
 >>> be trivial to write a preparser<snip explanation>
 >>
 >> Sounds good.  Why hasn’t it been done, then?
 >
 > Because it's unnecessary, because no one has removed the ref tags
from the ways.

Sure, it’s unnecessary…unless you want people to stop applying the ref
tags to ways.

 > It's also more difficult to write the preparser when you have
 > contradictory information on the ways.  Part of the process of
 > removing the information from the ways would be to reconcile
 > inconsistencies and decide which of the two pieces of information is
 > correct and which is incorrect.

Not necessary.  Use the route relation and ignore the way ref data.

Or if you’re particularly ambitious, just combine the two, ignoring
duplicates and you’re good.  So a way which was tagged WI-66 and a
member of a relation tagged with network=US:WI + ref=66 would end up
with two final-rendering ref values (One WI-66, one US:WI 66).  It’s not
the end of the world, and I am quite certain that it’d get fixed PDQ.

—Alex Mauer “hawke”