Anthony osm at inbox.org
Wed Oct 20 02:11:36 BST 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 9:03 PM, Mike N. <niceman at att.net> wrote:
> Keep in mind that there are already people using US OSM data in real
> applications.

Where?

> By all means, let's move forward, but not burn consumers by
> removing ref* or name* tags to force them to change.   Otherwise we will
> just be laboring like monks to produce a mountain of pure XML that no one
> cares about because it's to difficult to catch a moving specification that
> has no concern for compatibility.

For now, if people don't want the spec to change, they shouldn't
download new planet files.  If that becomes a big enough problem (one
of the reasons I'd like to know who it is that's using the data), then
the solution is to offer stable branches, not to stop the development
of anything that might break backward compatibility.