[Talk-us] [Tagging] how to tag US townships?

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Wed Oct 20 23:51:48 BST 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 6:34 PM, Alex Mauer <hawke at hawkesnest.net> wrote:
> I’d put town at 7, city and village at 8, based on
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Administrative_divisions_of_New_York#Town and
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Administrative_divisions_of_New_York#Village
>
> Specifically, "Villages are a third layer of government, which are usually
> overlaid inside a town, and co-administer with the town, county, and state."
> and "To be incorporated, the area of the proposed village must have at least
> 500 inhabitants and not be part of an existing city or village."

I don't know.  "Cities are neither part of nor subordinate to towns
except for the city of Sherrill, which for some purposes is treated as
if it were a village of the town of Vernon."

If you're going to use 7 and 8, wouldn't 7 be city/town, and 8 be
village?  (Or, IMO more consistent with the rest of the US,
8=city/town and 9=village)?