[Talk-us] [Tagging] how to tag US townships?

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Wed Oct 20 23:58:12 BST 2010

On 10/20/2010 05:51 PM, Anthony wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 6:34 PM, Alex Mauer<hawke at hawkesnest.net>  wrote:
>> I’d put town at 7, city and village at 8, based on
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Administrative_divisions_of_New_York#Town and
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Administrative_divisions_of_New_York#Village
>>
>> Specifically, "Villages are a third layer of government, which are usually
>> overlaid inside a town, and co-administer with the town, county, and state."
>> and "To be incorporated, the area of the proposed village must have at least
>> 500 inhabitants and not be part of an existing city or village."
>
> I don't know.  "Cities are neither part of nor subordinate to towns
> except for the city of Sherrill, which for some purposes is treated as
> if it were a village of the town of Vernon."
>
> If you're going to use 7 and 8, wouldn't 7 be city/town, and 8 be
> village?  (Or, IMO more consistent with the rest of the US,
> 8=city/town and 9=village)?

I would, but villages are (by my understanding) closer to what any other
municipality is in the rest of the US.

I don’t think/know that a lower level (higher number) admin_level
necessarily implies that it must be, or can be, within a higher level
(lower number) admin_level.  They’re just there to give an indication of
equivalence.

—Alex Mauer “hawke”