[Talk-us] Interstate exit junction tagging

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Wed Oct 27 13:36:55 BST 2010

On 10/26/2010 07:33 AM, Mike N. wrote:
>> I like the idea of putting the immediately-connected road in the exit_to=
>> tag and leaving the rest of the sign's text to destination sign
>> relations.
>> I fully agree that some people's current practice (including mine in the
>> past) makes for a very clittered map and needs improvement.
>
>  Interstate exit signs are carefully chosen for clarity - using only the
> immediately-connected road in exit_to can result in a situation such
> Tulsa, OK where Skelly Drive parallels I44, and there would be many
> exits with an immediate link to Skelly Drive:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=36.0895&lon=-95.95508&zoom=16&layers=M
> - totally confusing someone who uses that information.

I can't think of any of those exits offhand that are actually posted as
Skelly Drive.  If I recall correctly (given that I'm trying to avoid
taking I44 as much as work lets me thanks to ODOT detouring I-44 to
Skelly Drive), none of the exits are called "Skelly Drive," but instead
the next cross street after the ramp.

>  Sign relations are less ambiguous, but there is no editor assistance.
> In many cases, a destination city on a sign will be hundreds of KM
> distant, which again complicates trying to locate the object to add to
> the sign relation.

Such as taking US-64 eastbound in South Tulsa.  At Creek Turnpike, the
guide sign says "West / Oklahoma City."  A more extreme example is in
The Dalles, Oregon, where you have signs pointing out Boise.