[Talk-us] Interstate exit junction tagging

Mike N. niceman at att.net
Tue Oct 26 13:33:50 BST 2010

> I like the idea of putting the immediately-connected road in the exit_to=
> tag and leaving the rest of the sign's text to destination sign relations.
> I fully agree that some people's current practice (including mine in the
> past) makes for a very clittered map and needs improvement.

  Interstate exit signs are carefully chosen for clarity - using only the
immediately-connected road in exit_to can result in a situation such Tulsa,
OK where Skelly Drive parallels I44, and there would be many exits with an
immediate link to Skelly Drive:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=36.0895&lon=-95.95508&zoom=16&layers=M -
totally confusing someone who uses that information.

  Sign relations are less ambiguous, but there is no editor assistance.  In
many cases, a destination city on a sign will be hundreds of KM distant,
which again complicates trying to locate the object to add to the sign
relation.