[Talk-us] Updating TIGER (was Re: In what direction should OSM go?)

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Wed Sep 29 17:41:02 BST 2010

Regarding TIGER, On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 12:09 PM, Ævar Arnfjörð
Bjarmason <avarab at gmail.com> wrote:
> I mean that we don't have *anything* currently that can take:
>
>    1) A foreign database as it was X years ago, each object having
>       some UID.
>
>    2) A foreign database as it is *now*, each object having
>       corresponding UID's.
>
>    3) The OSM data imported from the #1 with the foreign UID's as
>    tags, along with the new updated #2 database.
>
> And present users with some object-by-object comparison of things that
> changed, and offer them a way to resolve it using an OSM editor.

Seems that would be relatively easy to write for TIGER data.  I'm not
sure how useful it'd be, though (especially in the areas with decent
aerial imagery available).

For areas without decent aerial imagery, maybe if someone rendered the
latest version of TIGER as an "underlay", for tracing.  Combined with
a checklist of areas which changed....  I don't know, the places I map
generally have good aerials available.