[Talk-us] Use of ref-tag on state highways

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Sat Aug 20 14:03:53 BST 2011

"On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 6:04 AM, Henk Hoff <toffehoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> To my understanding our tagging-standard for State Highways is [STATE]
> [NUMBER]
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_States_roads_tagging#State_Highways
>
> User NE[2|3] is now changing all State Highway ref-tags in Arkansastalk-us at openstreetmap.org
> from AR ## to Hwy ##
> Examples:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=35.4239&lon=-93.0561&zoom=13&layers=M
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=34.015&lon=-93.4598&zoom=13&layers=M

Hi Henk!

Getting ready for your road trip to SotM, I see.  ;-)

What the local and state authorities call a road is interesting but
fails to consider our broader, global naming concerns.

network= describes the highway network
ref= distinct reference within that network

In this case network="US_AR_AR"  Historically, network="US:AR:AR" has
been used but _ is better.

ref="123" is correct.

ref="Hwy 123" is incorrect.  The "Hwy" portion of "Hwy ##" adds no
actionable information for OpenStreetMap.  "##" is better.

ref="AR 123" is incorrect. AR duplicates information from the network tag.

ref="SR 123" is incorrect.  SR is ambiguous and duplicates information
from the network tag.

Best regards,
Richard