[Talk-us] Double Mapping - Point and Polygon

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Fri Aug 26 03:51:17 BST 2011

> Mike Thompsonmiketho16 at gmail.com  <mailto:talk-us%40openstreetmap.org?Subject=Re%3A%20%5BTalk-us%5D%20Double%20Mapping%20-%20Point%20and%20Polygon&In-Reply-To=%3CCALJoUkteF1hb%3DDsUc%3Dm2ypXuhxeS%2BZxuHYwPTgCMwMbxJBhRBg%40mail.gmail.com%3E>wrote:
>
> It seems that some things in OSM have been mapped twice, once as a
> point and once as a polygon.  Here is an example:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=40.42939&lon=-105.31262&zoom=17  <http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=40.42939&lon=-105.31262&zoom=17>
>
> The example appears to be from two different imports: NHD and GNIS,
> but I have seen other things, such as parking lots, mapped twice in
> this fashion as well.  In these cases do we want to keep both, or
> delete the point?  If we delete the point, should its tags be merged
> with the polygon?
I change one to the other all the time, usually taking a GNIS point and
making it a building outline.  But it is a pain to preserve the keys.
And in the case of two automated imports you want to preserve keys from
BOTH, so that if the import is ever re-run the problem does not re-appear.

See also:
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/imports/2011-August/001072.html