[Talk-us] Proposed re-import of USA NEXRAD radar stations

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Fri Aug 26 04:05:49 BST 2011

I would like to run a fresh import of NEXRAD radar stations.  A prior
import is documented at:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Potential_Datasources#Next_Generation_Radar_.28NEXRAD.29_Locations
These are primarily in the USA.

I'm using a merge-edit tool which produces a "diff" compared to the
prior import,
and then modifies (not replaces) nodes.
In particular I'd like to get rid of the ugly  note tag, and make the
url linkable:

The new tags would look like so:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<osm version="0.6" generator="osmfetch"
changetset_source:website="http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/radar/nexrad.kmz">
<node action='modify' lat='48.194' lon='-122.496' id='586625159'
version='1' >
<tag k='man_made' v='beacon'/>
<tag k='radar_transponder' v='NEXRAD'/>
<tag k='operator' v='NOAA'/>
<tag k='name' v='KATX'/>
<tag k='website'
v='http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/nexradinv/chooseday.jsp?id=KATX'/>
<tag k='source' v='osmfetch:noaa:nexrad'/>
<tag k='source:pkey' v='KATX'/>
</node>
</osm>

Plus new stations will be added.
If there were obsolete stations they would be deleted (but there are
none right now).

The import "diff" script would be run every 6 months or so to pick up
new changes.
The script is called "osmfetch", and the import-specific code can be
seen on the tagging list.

If required I can submit the script for checkin to svn, prior to running it.