[Talk-us] [Imports] Importing Virginia road centerlines

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Feb 21 18:25:13 GMT 2011

Hi,

Katie Filbert wrote:
> How about just converting the data to OSM format. Break it up by small,
> manageable chunks such as census tracts.  Post the files somewhere.
> Maybe OSM-US can help provide a place for them.

I hear that Potlatch2 already has a mode where you can load a shape file
as a background layer, and copy geometries (one by one) onto the OSM
layer. I haven't used that myself, but on the whole this sounds like a
sensible mode of operation. I think it doesn't to attribute conversion
yet but that would be a simple matter of programming for someone with
the necessary skills.

What I like most about it is that you have a forced visual feedback -
there is no way you can copy something into OSM without seeing what is
actually there before you do.

> Then allow local people to do the imports, using JOSM.

That is possible, but carries with it the danger of over-eager people
doing blanket imports again...

Bye
Frederik