[Talk-us] [Imports] Importing Virginia road centerlines

Dave Hansen dave at sr71.net
Mon Feb 21 18:31:21 GMT 2011

On Mon, 2011-02-21 at 19:25 +0100, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> What I like most about it is that you have a forced visual feedback -
> there is no way you can copy something into OSM without seeing what is
> actually there before you do.

It would be really nice to add some JOSM layer functionality like this.
I did a simple shp-to-osm, then mucked with JOSM's style files a bit to
get it to show the background (new data) in pink and the foreground
(existing OSM data) in a thick line.  It makes isolating data that's
badly lined up or non-existent in OSM easy to find, visually.

	http://daveh.dev.openstreetmap.org/portland/josm-ping.png

> > Then allow local people to do the imports, using JOSM.
>
> That is possible, but carries with it the danger of over-eager people
> doing blanket imports again...

In the US?  There were a couple of duplicate TIGER counties uploaded
that I would say were from people jumping the gun a bit, but I haven't
been aware of any more.  Any examples?

-- Dave