[Talk-us] place=city name=Tri-Cities

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Fri Feb 25 01:16:52 GMT 2011

On 02/24/2011 07:58 AM, McGuire, Matthew wrote:

> Without knowing the area, I can only speculate that "Tri-Cities" is a locally common name for the entire metro, but assuming it is, I like the way it looks on Mapnik, so it seems like a case of tagging for the renderer. How about "place=metro"?

For all practical purposes, Kennewick, Pasco and Richland are boroughs
of the same city, though not legally so in that respect.  Until you're
actually in the Tri-Cities area, it's rare to see official signage
actually point out any of the three cities involved independently, and
even within the Tri-Cities metro area (which is roughly everything in a
100 mile radius considering that Umatilla and La Grande are considered
part of the Tri Cities area), you'd be hard pressed to find someone who
is actually aware that it's three different cities and not one ("I
thought those were just neighborhoods!"), or can name the three cities
("You mean Tri-Cities isn't it's name?  Why is it on all the signs that
way?").

To compare this to Minneapolis-St. Paul, it would be as if most people
in those two cities and almost everyone outside them only knew both as
one larger city called "Twin Cities."