[Talk-us] Announcing the Chattanooga OpenStreetMap Users Group

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Sun Jul 10 02:24:56 BST 2011

On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 10:11 AM, Randal Hale
<rjhale at northrivergeographic.com> wrote:
> So I tried to come up with a more interesting
> name...Chattamappers...ChooChoo Cartographers.....Pork Chop and the Def
> MapMakingIdiots......and my favorite: The Barry Manilow Experience.
>
> I ended up just going with the idea and gave up on the name.
>
> Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/123483951073256?ap=1
> Wiki:http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Chattanooga
> Business Page: http://www.northrivergeographic.com/open-street-map

[ ... ]

>    So anyway - announcements will be made. Food will be eaten. Beer will be
> drunken....drinked....and the map will get better in this area.

Dear Randy,

You are going to have a lot of fun with this.  Here are a few of the
things that will happen, based on our group here.

- Some cool people that you would otherwise never have met will show up.
- Some cool people you met previously in other contexts will show up.
- You'll learn a bunch of things and share other things.

Here are some things that you'll want to do, either for each meeting
or periodically depending on your energy level.

- Encourage others to back you up / replace you as group leader, so
that you don't have to do all the future organizing.
- Reach out to other semi-related groups to find members with crossing
interests. Cycling / hiking / urban exploration groups and others.

Things for each meeting.

- Make a list of leading questions to ask attendees to get them
talking with each other. "What do you want to see on a map? Why do
maps need to improve?"
- Get attendees to sign up for OSM and make their first edits at the
meetings.  Help them edit by talking them through the editing session.
(Never take the keyboard / mouse from them.)  Have them check their
home neighbourhood and see if all the parks, schools, tennis courts,
ballparks are in place.
- Make sure that strangers can find you at the venue, and that you are
approachable!  Tell the bartender that you are with the map group and
they should send people to your table.  Smile at strangers who might,
or might not, be looking for your group.  Have a big map or
OpenStreetMap sign prominent on the table.

And some things to prepare for.

- Attendance might be small initially.  That's cool.
- Some won't attend until you've been going for a few dates.
- Some might show up expecting something different and lose interest.
- Plan on hosting for six months before you decide how big the group
is going to be.  If you have four more attendees than seats on the
first meeting does not necessarily mean you need a new venue.

Have fun,
Richard