[Talk-us] Announcing the Chattanooga OpenStreetMap Users Group

Randal Hale rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
Sat Jul 9 15:11:49 BST 2011

So I tried to come up with a more interesting
name...Chattamappers...ChooChoo Cartographers.....Pork Chop and the Def
MapMakingIdiots......and my favorite: The Barry Manilow Experience.

I ended up just going with the idea and gave up on the name.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/123483951073256?ap=1
Wiki:http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Chattanooga
Business Page: http://www.northrivergeographic.com/open-street-map

     So anyway - I started fooling around with OSM a couple of years ago
through a weird turn of events. I've been hacking away at the map -
Actually myself and another mapper T-9 (Tim) have been making a lot of
edits. I've had a local High school helping.....which has been good and
bad. Kids have gotten interested in Mapping..Kids make a lot of
mistakes. I'm cleaning up the kid's mistakes now. Other people have been
cleaning up my mistakes....it's all one giant learning experience. I've
helped with the OSM edits in Georgia....not enough I must add. I was
learning when all that started.
     I've got a pile of college students here in town that want to learn
about GIS, so we're going to cover a little bit of everything (OSM,
ArcGIS, QGIS, Data, etc, etc) . I've hooked up with Outdoor Chattanooga
and hope to spread some of the OSM love with the outdoor community. I
almost feel like we're a GIS users group instead of OSM...but hey it all
ties in together.
     One Goal is to reel in the county's GIS department at some point.
My life as a consultant makes that a bit of a hard sell (Tennessee has
some backwards ideas about data and data sharing IMHO). Plus we never
really hit it off - so I'm hoping I can get a different voice to carry
the same message.
      I'm also trying to connect with these guys -
http://www.chattanooga3d.com/ .  I think this initiative died a few
months back. They did get some press out of this - I'll try to get some
more.
     So anyway - announcements will be made. Food will be eaten. Beer
will be drunken....drinked....and the map will get better in this area.

Talk to you guys later,
Randy

--
Randal Hale, GISP