[Talk-us] How to get more publicity?

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 15:20:24 BST 2011

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 12:11 AM, Kate Chapman <kate at maploser.com> wrote:
> Hi Kai,
>
> We've had luck in the past in Washington DC with contacting friends in the
> press.  The Washington Post came to a mapping party last year.  I think key
> is having more events, having them at fun places help. For example we mapped
> the National Mall for the Washington Post piece.  I think reporters are more
> likely to cover a specific event than OSM just in general.

That's right. It's also useful to make press connections. Know your
local reporters, as well as your national ones.

And try to pitch them stories. As Kate says, press are interested in a
story, so you have to give them one. Simply announcing OSM to them
isn't very compelling, but you can say "We're having this mapping
party, here's what it's about."- and try to get another group
involved, a school, a hiking group, etc.

One of the reasons that we got so much coverage in DC, frankly, is
that I was able to pitch stories to various reporters I knew socially.
 So, if you're at a school (I believe you're doing post-doc work),
then see if you can get, if nothing else, the school paper to cover
it. See if you can find someone at the Denver Post to cover it, etc.

And lastly, if you can find a way to get yourself or others on panels,
or interviewed on local radio/tv, that can help.

- Serge