[Talk-us] NOAA Composite Shoreline

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Thu Jul 14 15:57:15 BST 2011

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 4:38 PM, Adam Schreiber <sadam at clemson.edu> wrote:

> Josh,
>
> As the person that imported the NHD shoreline for most of the southern
> east coast, I can tell you that I mainly tried to fix directional
> errors and obvious missing features.  Correcting to imagery was beyond
> the scope of the effort as that was back when we were just trying to
> get something workable in and not throw errors on the coastline
> checker.

Certainly it's quite a bit of work to trace imagery, something I'll only do
for some small areas that I have interest in. However if I can significantly
improve the quality of Virginia's coast through merging
NOAA/NGA/USGS/Virginia/county data without much difficulty, I think it's a
valuable effort.

Too bad the coastline error checker has been dead for over a year.

-Josh