[Talk-us] Categorizing Stores/Restaurants

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Wed Jun 15 00:58:40 BST 2011

I'm a newbie and I've come across similar problems.  However, maybe the
solution isn't so much in tags, but a need to normalize *if that's the right
word" the data.  Your example of Sears is good.  If I populate a store with
Sears, why can't I get a potlatch pull down that gives me all the correct
tags for Sears.  Locally we have a grocery chain, QFC.  OSM has it listed as
QFC, QFC Supermarket, QFC (Quality Food Center). and oddly enought, QFC
Parking.  Since QFC is wholly owned by Kroger, there doesn't seem to be a
official name.  Kroger refers to them as QFC and Quality Food Centers (QFC).
 My point is that there is lots of opportunity for interpretation when
entering data.

Is it possible for potlatch to give suggestions to improve the data?

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Josh Kraayenbrink <josh at kraayenbrink.net>wrote:

> It is, but what is the convention in the states for tagging, say, Sears?
> Department store? Hardware store? other store? The only way you know these
> things is if you do A LOT of mapping and start to figure out what needs to
> go where. What if a newbie comes across this and they don't know what to do.
> Where do you turn them to? Or do you just help them with every request?
>
> Sorry for the response in questions, I am just trying to rationalize this
> out loud.

I have promised to cut down on my swearing and drinking, which I have.
 Unfortunately, this has left me dim-witted and nearly speechless. Adapted
from *The Lion* by Nelson DeMille

-or-

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.  Albert
Einstein