[Talk-us] highway=cycleway or highway=path

PJ Houser stephanie.jean.houser at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 01:29:41 BST 2011

If a way is used for both pedestrians and cyclists, should it be tagged
highway=cycleway or highway=path with bicycle=designated? This is what the
bridge path looks like -
http://bikeportland.org/2005/11/21/hawthorne-bridge-gets-new-markings-673.

On the http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dcycleway:
"The highway=cycleway indicates that the used way is mainly or exclusively
for bicycles. Some consider it better to use highway=path if use is not
restricted to cyclists"

On the discussion page:
"Mainly or exclusively"

I can see from the history of the page that the wording was fought over last
summer. But the end result is not correct (and indeed contradicts itself).

I'd have said it was more accurate to say that cycleways indicate corridors
that are mainly or exclusively for cyclists and pedestrians.

Where they are used for ways that are mainly or exclusively for cyclists
only, this should either be the norm for that country (as set out in
access-restrictions), or be indicated by the addition of a tag foot=no. In
either situation, an alternative way for pedestrians should be shown if one
exists (this may merely be the footway implied by an adjacent road).
--RichardMann <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:RichardMann> 14:01,
10 July 2009 (UTC)

I'm sure this was discussed ad nauseum at some point, so feel free to point
me to the correct thread.

Thanks!
--
PJ Houser