[Talk-us] Relation roles

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 18:44:45 BST 2011

I've started using forward/backward roles rather than
north/south/east/west on relations for state highways, due to JOSM's
relation editor supporting sorting by them and Nakor's tool (which was
already less convenient, given that you had to upload to OSM and get the
relation number) being down. I've been leaving U.S. Highways alone
(Interstates don't matter either way because they're almost always dual
carriageway), but this means that there's no way to check for
completeness of a relation.

How much uproar would there be if I started changing to forward/backward
roles in conjunction with checking for completeness? Is there any
benefit to the slightly increased amount of information provided by the
directional roles? Are there any other solutions? It appears from
http://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/5109 that the JOSM devs are not
interested in supporting directional roles.