[Talk-us] Trimet updates to OSM in Portland, Oregon area - workflow

Fri Mar 4 09:53:52 GMT 2011

At 2011-03-03 21:16, PJ Houser wrote:
>If feature exists in OSM but is incorrect, either in tags, directionality,
>or geometry:
>- make sure to maintain OSM tags while adding jurisdictional tags
>(copy/paste from OSM to jurisdictional, then copy/paste all tags from
>jurisdictional to OSM)

Do you have different tags from OSM for common things like name, so a
naming conflict end up looking like this afterwards (hopefully not):

name=originalName
Trimet:name=correctName

Are you dealing with separating directional prefix/suffix from the name (if
that was an issue in OR)?

FWIW, when I correct existing (mostly TIGER-import) road names in OSM based
on research into county assessor's map, tract/parcel maps, and surveys, I
tag the relevant document number on the feature I corrected, in case
someone wants to see why it was changed. e.g.:

        I aligned to this sat img I saw the street
        |                         |      I photo'd the street sign
        |                         |      |     I used San Bernardino County
Assessor docs
        |                         |      |     |    I used San Bernardino
County Surveyor docs
source=bing_imagery_0.25m_201005;survey;image;SBCA;SBCS

+ source_ref=AM909_DSCX1234;AM0220-19;TR12345-04
              My photo #     SBCA map  SBCS Tract map

I'll also add a FIXME tag if the signage is known to be wrong, noting to
whom the problem was reported and when. In such cases, I also usually add
an alt_name tag with the bad sign value, and hopefully come back later and
remove it after resurvey of the new sign.