[Talk-us] [OSM-talk] Bike / Pedestrian directions on the MQ Open sites

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Mon Mar 7 05:47:11 GMT 2011

On 03/06/2011 09:59 PM, Josh Kraayenbrink wrote:
> I believe the law implies that if there isn't an easy alternative route
> within a reasonable distance from the interstate, you CAN ride on that
> interstate. Some are explicatively stated no bikes allowed, but I
> believe that there are plenty of examples east of the Mississippi that
> do allow you to.

I looked it up again, and I was partly wrong.  Turns out only five
states disallow bicycles statewide on freeways:  Ohio, Minnesota, Maine,
Indiana, Hawaii and Georgia.  The rest may allow it and post such
restrictions at the ramps.  The 28 I previously mentioned as allowing it
provide signage for cyclists on freeways.