[Talk-us] all our addresses are belong to you

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 00:28:42 GMT 2011

Hi all,

I updated the wiki page for the CAF with some links to converted OSM files:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/MapQuest/Critical_Addresses#Converted_Files

<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/MapQuest/Critical_Addresses#Converted_Files>Please
put your contact info down on that page if you're working on a
state/province/country so we don't get duplicates.

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 5:05 PM, Steve Coast <steve at asklater.com> wrote:

>  huh...
>
> please do, would be fun to look
>

> On 3/11/2011 3:01 PM, Ian Dees wrote:
>
> I did, but I held off because most of the data wasn't very useful (points
> in the middle of the road or in the middle of a field, etc.)
>
>  When I get home I can upload the files I have.
>
>  On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Steve Coast <steve at asklater.com> wrote:
>
>>  did you do that? I'm curious to look at addresses near me and help import
>>

>> On 3/2/2011 12:59 PM, Ian Dees wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>>  I'm planning on converting these to OSM format in the coming hours and
>> dividing them up into chunks of some size that can be relatively easily
>> checked by humans.
>>
>>  I'll post to the list and to that page with the chunks later.
>>
>>  -Ian
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 2:55 PM, Flambeaux at gmail.com <flambeaux at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> MapQuest is providing several address files that contain user-provided
>>> latitude and longitude locations across the world. Our users provided
>>> these exact locations to us so that they could be mapped correctly on
>>> our MapQuest maps.
>>>
>>> There are currently three (3) main files - one for the United States,
>>> one for Canada and one for Europe.  More information can be found on
>>> our wiki page:
>>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/MapQuest/Critical_Addresses
>>>
>>> We didn't want to just import these addresses directly into OSM, but
>>> wanted them to be available to anyone that wanted to have them.  To be
>>> clear:
>>>
>>> 1. these addresses are user provided
>>> 2. there is a high degree of ground-truth from these users
>>> 3. they WANTED to be in the data and be correctly mapped
>>> 4. we've checked with our lawyers, and yes, you can have them -