[Talk-us] border screwup by ToeBee needs reverting

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 12:55:54 GMT 2011

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 7:49 AM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 3/25/2011 8:37 AM, Ian Dees wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 7:04 AM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com
>> <mailto:neroute2 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>    On 3/25/2011 7:49 AM, Ian Dees wrote:
>>
>>        I would say that a better use of our time would be in creating
>>        boundary
>>        relations to fix the duplicated county/state boundaries.
>>
>>    I would say it's more important to have the border in the right
>>    place (at least such that all roads in one state are on the correct
>>    side).
>>

>> I would disagree. No one is going to use OpenStreetMap to solve border
>> disputes in the US. There are higher quality datasets that come from the
>> people that make the rules. On the other hand, removing overlapping
>> boundary ways will clean up the existing OSM data, make it easier to
>> edit and easier to consume.
>>

> I'm not sure what to make of this response. Why would you say we have
> borders in OSM? Would that reason be better suited by having the borders be
> in the correct place but duplicated or by having them in the wrong place but
> consolidated?

I don't know why we have borders in OSM. I'm assuming they're in there
because people saw the data available and imported it (like I did with the
county borders a few years ago -- one of several imports that I wish I could
take back). It could also be because it makes for a decent thing to draw on
the map at low zoom.

I personally don't think borders that are controlled by others belong in OSM
but if others insist that the borders are there then I think they should at
least be represented with clean OSM data.