[Talk-us] using address interpolation with building polygons

Phil! Gold phil_g at pobox.com
Fri Mar 25 17:36:25 GMT 2011

* Richard Welty <rwelty at averillpark.net> [2011-03-25 12:07 -0400]:
> i see no examples of using interpolation ways with building polygons.
> can anyone point me to any examples of this?

The only time I've mixed the two has been with stripmall-style buildings
where there are a series of businesses in the same building (or, if you
like, a series of adjacent buildings with uniform storefronts).  Rather
than terrace the buildings[0], I often just trace the outline of the whole
set, mark it as building=yes, and add an unconnected address interpolation
line, like so: http://osm.org/go/ZcIoRxFhk--

I'm not sure if that's the answer you were looking for, but it's the best
I've come up with for relating address interpolation and polygonal
buildings.

[0] And the JOSM terracing plugin doesn't always work for this sort of
    thing.  Often, the store fronts will be uniform, but the backs will
    extend different distances from the fronts.  The terracer gets really
    unhappy with things like that.

--- --
The problem with using C++ ... is that there's already a strong tendency
in the language to require you to know everything before you can do
anything.
                       -- Larry Wall