[Talk-us] Cool ITO World US and Canada coverage

Mike N niceman at att.net
Sat Mar 26 11:51:06 GMT 2011

On 3/26/2011 12:58 AM, Alan Mintz wrote:
> Great tool for visualizing speed limits

   The US convention of 'xx mph' has proved difficult for many map
consumers.   I have bugged all the other "Speed Limit Visualizer"
providers, but no one has come up with a functional speed limit
visualizer in MPH until this one.    I'm trying to figure out the color
scheme though.    At least I can use the display to plan video mapping
to gather missing speed limit info.

   As a side note: the speed limit in mph has confounded the Skobbler
designers - possibly because their data is filtered via Cloudmade.
There are many roads already fully tagged with maxspeed that get Mapdust
reports of missing speed limits.

    The better the visualizers and consumers, the more maxspeeds will
get entered.   You could almost needed a stopwatch to measure the delay
between Mapquest rendering tollways as green and the completion of toll
road markings in the US.