[Talk-us] Civil War sites

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Mon Mar 28 15:18:07 BST 2011

how this would get done is all part of the laboratory aspect of the
project. things
that exist, maps of current historical sites, are all reasonable things
for the
existing OSM database. the idea here is that things that no longer exist
but are
historically significant go in the history database and we use
openlayers to do
a mashup on top of a rendering of modern OSM. so you've distinguished by
having
two different databases, and the historical database can use tagging
that would
be considered clutter in modern OSM.

i will look into where this can be hosted, and look into setting up a
mailing list
for those interested in the project to communicate. i'd consider hosting
it on my
own hardware, but i think i'd like to increase the available disk space
first.

richard