[Talk-us] US Interstate exit junction exit_to tag

Andrew Cleveland evil.saltine at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 22:00:03 BST 2011

On Mon, 2011-03-28 at 14:40 -0500, Ian Dees wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 2:35 PM, Mike N <niceman at att.net> wrote:
>
>         On 3/28/2011 3:19 PM, Ian Dees wrote:
>
>                 In this picture:
>                 http://www.nomadchallenge.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/likelike-highway-honolulu.jpg
>
>                 <http://www.nomadchallenge.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/likelike-highway-honolulu.jpg>What
>                 is the proposed tag for the highway=motorway_junction
>                 node?
>                 Are we tagging the node with exactly what is on the
>                 sign or are we
>                 looking down the road and coming up with text on our
>                 own?
>

>          Where possible, this will duplicate the sign.  The thinking
>         is that sign contents are carefully chosen for maximum clarity
>         to drivers, and to distinguish them from nearby exits.  That
>         will not necessarily be the nearest main road the exit leads
>         to. The Wiki would have the exit node as
>
>         ref=20A
>         name=
>         exit_to=HI 63 North; Likelike Hwy
>
>          (Exit Only optional also, I suppose)
>

> Ok, that makes sense. I am thinking of the case where a GPS provider
> or directions provider uses our data and wants to have "Take exit 20A
> towards HI 63 North Likelike Hwy" on the screen or spoken via TTS.
>

> With that in mind I think it's important that the exit_to tag only
> include verbage on the sign (and not stuff we make up).

Just a nitpick: For exit numbers that consist of both a number and a
letter, should we insert a space? For example "20A" vs. "20 A".

The MUTCD
( http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009/part2/part2e.htm#section2E31 ) says
"Suffix letters shall be used for exit numbering at a multi-exit
interchange. The suffix letter shall also be included on the exit number
plaque and shall be separated from the exit number by a space having a
width of between 1/2 and 3/4 of the height of the suffix letter."

Obviously this would depend on how each state agency actually does their
signs. In the Likelike Hwy. example there appears to me to be a thin
space between the "20" and the "A". Maybe a thin space (U+2009) would
work? Though that might be making things more complicated than they need
to be.