[Talk-us] US Interstate exit junction exit_to tag

Val Kartchner val42k at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 05:39:05 BST 2011

On Mon, 2011-03-28 at 18:27 -0400, Richard Welty wrote:
> On 3/28/11 6:21 PM, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
> > This seems to be a display choice rather than an actual space in the
> > exit number.
> we should standardize on how we enter them, either space or no space (and no
> tricky unicode characters, just a normal space if there is to be one.)
>
> the display is a rendering choice, let's not embed that into the ref tags.
>
> richard

There is a simpler solution: Let the computer fix it.  To express the
pattern in Perl: display "$1 $2" if($ref =~ /^(\d+)\s*(.*)$/);  This
means that if there is a series of digits followed by an optional space
followed by any characters; display the digits, a space followed by the
remaining characters.

Of course, there would be variations of this basic pattern.  However,
the point is that whether there are spaces or not is easy to fix.  The
output is even up to the renderer.

Just let the computer fix it.

- Val -