[Talk-us] Another day, another bad import

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Mon May 2 10:47:11 BST 2011

On 5/2/2011 4:29 AM, Martijn van Exel wrote:
> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 9:22 AM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com
>     http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:West_Harrisburg.jpg
> As such, it could help
> reduce - though never fully prevent - cases like the one you link to.

How is that? West Harrisburg was created using ordinary editing tools
over a matter of months. Certainly you're not proposing that new editors
can't draw roads?

> What is the story behind this West Harrisburg vandalism situation by the
> way?

"Didn't realize this map was supposed to be a real map. Just
through[sic] some stuff in there. Thought it was a game or something.
Come to find out it's more like Wikipedia."

Creating "badges" for a certain number of edits or other such grinding
would, if anything, increase the amount of bogus editing as new editors
try to get those badges, and would piss off new editors who know what
they're doing (for example, soon after joining, I imported the complete
NYC Subway system from a shapefile I had previously created by tracing
USGS topos, and successfully merged the portions that had already been
mapped).