[Talk-us] Address improvement through imports?

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Wed Nov 2 16:28:36 GMT 2011

Anthony

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 10:23 AM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 12:19 PM, Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org> wrote:
>> I'm all for not importing data where there's existing data people can
>> use, but in the case of TIGER addresses you could actually make a
>> point for importing: OSM could be a platform for improving that
>> address data (like it should be for the GNIS points). 'All we need' is
>> a suitable microtasking platform.
>
> I can't speak for other locations, but here in Florida there is much
> better address information available from the counties than that
> available from TIGER.  So if you're going to build a suitable
> "microtasking" platform for Florida, use the county data, not TIGER
> :).

Couldn't agree more - we have to make an effort to import the best
address data available and that probably means looking at the local
government level. That's why I made that page I started this thread
with in the first place - to try and consolidate that effort.

--
martijn van exel
geospatial omnivore