[Talk-us] Address improvement through imports?

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Fri Nov 4 02:03:10 GMT 2011

On 11/03/2011 06:09 PM, Steven Johnson wrote:
> Up to now, we've been talking largely about addresses as point
> features. However, one thing I think would be good to have is block
> ranges on streets. What I mean is a tag that indicates this is the
> 1000 block, the 1100 block, the 1200 block, etc. Rather than being a
> point feature attached to buildings, it would be a tag associated with
> the way. It would be much easier to implement, make the map renderings
> much more presentable at small scales, and provide better address
> utility than presently exists.
Point features can be automatically conflated into ranges (thus you can
get simple rendering).
Ranges can't properly spread out to form points.

Many governments have very good parcel data, with addresses, as point or
polygon features.  That data is very accurate, and even updated as
conditions change.

---

I'm a fan of "local mapping" by real mappers.  But I also know that the
use case for map /users/ often starts with asking for directions.  That
requires address data that's near perfect.