[Talk-us] Interstate Crossovers

Nathan Mills nathan at nwacg.net
Sat Oct 8 14:50:15 BST 2011

 On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 08:40:51 -0500, John F. Eldredge wrote:

> The access=emergency tag is documented in the wiki as meaning that
> access is permitted for emergency vehicles, and would seem to ideally
> fit this situation.  Admittedly, it is documented only if you search
> for the word "emergency", rather than on the page for the access tag.

 I don't think "access=emergency" maps very well to "official use only"
 which includes the turnpike authority's maintenance vehicles in my area.
 The locked gates leading into several private-access subdivisions around
 here do have signs posted specifically stating "emergency vehicles
 only", and would be more appropriate for that tag, IMO. There are other
 states where the crossovers are signed "emergency vehicles only" (I'm
 pretty sure I've seen them signed that way before). In those cases,
 access=emergency would also seem appropriate.

 This is one of the more annoying aspects of mapping in the US. The
 rules are oftendifferent in every state.

 -Nathan