[Talk-us] access=destination vs access=private

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sat Sep 10 04:52:45 BST 2011

On Fri, 2011-09-09 at 23:43 -0400, Anthony wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 11:00 PM, Peter Dobratz <peter at dobratz.us> wrote:
> >> Do you think it makes more sense to tag the apartment complexes as
> >> access=destination or access=private? The complexes are not usually private.
> >
> > I'd even consider not putting access restrictions on them at all,
> > unless there is some rule that you shouldn't be using them as a
> > through street.  What if you are walking or on a bicycle?
>
> What about jurisdictions like New Jersey, which have this law:
>
> New Jersey 39:4-66.2 "Except for emergency vehicles and motor vehicles
> being operated at the direction of a law enforcement officer, no
> person shall drive a motor vehicle on public property, except public
> roads or highways, or private property, with or without the permission
> of the owner, for the purpose of avoiding a traffic control signal or
> sign."

That's a pretty normal consideration and most routers avoid cutting
through service/living_street situations as is (though explicit tagging
is never bad).

> Would such private ways, which could be used to avoid a stop sign, be
> access=permissive, motor_vehicle=destination?  I don't know.  I
> thought access=destination was only to be used for rights of way.  And
> I think if I were coding a router I'd avoid using an access=permissive
> as a through street anyway.  But maybe that's my
> learned-to-drive-in-New-Jersey bias.

I wouldn't consider it permissive by bicycle in such a circumstance,
because most (all?) places in the US consider bicycles vehicles except
when operated in extremely limited circumstances (effectively making a
cyclist act like a pedestrian), since pedestrians are normally exempt
from intersection signals if their trip takes them down a contiguous
sidewalk that doesn't cross the street.