[Talk-us] Brainstorm: What should a US map of OSM data look like

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Tue Sep 13 13:26:38 BST 2011

Toby Murray <toby.murray at gmail.com> writes:

> This might be partially a tagging issue but I think it affects rendering
> too.
>
> It would be nice to change the zoom level at which cities/towns are rendered
> in rural areas. I should not be able to get a map with no place names on it
> in western Kansas

I agree, and it's not just cities/towns but everything else.  In a lot
of rural areas there isn't so much and it would be nice to show gas
stations, restaurants, etc. and much lower-numbered zoom levels.
Basically, add things until you almost get clutter :-)   Currently we
have static plans suitable for dense areas, which seems like a sane
default.

I see this more as a rendering than tagging improvement, although we may
need importance hints in tags.