[Talk-us] Disney (was Re: access=destination vs access=private)

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Fri Sep 16 14:17:29 BST 2011

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 8:33 AM, Phil! Gold <phil_g at pobox.com> wrote:
> * Anthony <osm at inbox.org> [2011-09-15 22:19 -0400]:
>> Incidenally, for some reason Lulu-Ann put the example of customer
>> parking lots in the wiki for access=destination, but I'd say this
>> completely changes the original intent of access=destination.  Only a
>> few months ago the wiki said "access=destination The public has right
>> of access only if this is the only road to your destination."
>
> The US doesn't seem to have the strict legal categories for rights-of-way
> that the UK does, but it seems to me that customer-only parking lots match
> the sense of access=destination very well, in the sense of, "you're only
> allowed to use this if it takes you to an adjacent destination."

access=destination on a way through a parking lot would mean "the
public has a right to use this way if they are parking here" which
most certainly is not the same as "the owner gives permission to use
this way to customers".

And in my experience "customers only" parking lots don't even mean
"you're allowed to park here if you are going to an adjacent
destination".  The destination which "customers" is referring to is
quite often *not* adjacent, and quite often there are other adjacent
destinations (e.g. private residences) for which parking is not
allowed (which is, in fact, the whole purpose of the sign).

> What access restrictions do you think would better fit customer-only parking areas?

Areas, or the ways which lead through the areas?  If you're talking
about the areas, I don't know - it's not something I've ever thought
about writing software to utilize.  If you're talking about the ways,
then access=customers would be the best fit, though in my opinion it's
a bit *too* specific.  As I've said on the wiki, I'd rather see
access=restricted plus access:restriction=customers_only, this way we
can give routers general information (that the way is restricted to a
particular category) without having them understand access=customers
and access=employees and access=judges and access=expectant_mothers,
etc.

Also, it would be helpful to actually see the area in question.  Is
the parking *area* restricted to customers only, or is it just
*parking* that is restricted to customers only?