[Talk-us] What should a US map of OSM data look like

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sun Sep 18 00:23:23 BST 2011

On Mon, 2011-09-12 at 17:42 -0500, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 4:57 PM, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:
> > A few of us were just asking on irc what a US-style tile theme would
> > look like?
> >
> > Naturally, I think highway shields should be included.
> >
> > Lars Ahlzen suggested elevation in feet rather than metres.
> >
> > Ian Dees liked the idea of fewer different colors for roads, blue /
> > motorway, green / trunk, red / primary ...
> >
> > Perhaps de-emphasize pubs and make bowling alleys more prominent?
> >
> > Let's brainstorm ... what would you have OSM data look like in USA.
> >
> > For extra credit, can it also look good in Canada and Mexico?  Can we
> > show hockey rinks? ;-)
>
> I'd like to see county borders more prominent.
>
> Also, it would be nice to have english names of places in non-english
> speaking locales be more prominent.

Some issues that should be considered are administrative sovereignty.
Not really having this clarified is making it a real pain in the ass to
properly map places like New Mexico and Oklahoma, which have dozens upon
dozens of tribal nations with varying degrees of sovereignty from the US
and adjacent states.  Lumping it all into a generic "indian reservation"
rendering doesn't reflect the situation particularly well for nations
with any higher degree of sovereignty.