[Talk-us] What should a US map of OSM data look like

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sun Sep 18 00:20:36 BST 2011

On Mon, 2011-09-12 at 17:57 -0400, Richard Weait wrote:
> A few of us were just asking on irc what a US-style tile theme would
> look like?
>
> Naturally, I think highway shields should be included.
>
> Lars Ahlzen suggested elevation in feet rather than metres.

It should be noted that USDOT considers English units a legacy feature
to be eliminated as of the 2009 MUTCD.

> Ian Dees liked the idea of fewer different colors for roads, blue /
> motorway, green / trunk, red / primary ...

Green typically means toll route on North American maps.

> Perhaps de-emphasize pubs and make bowling alleys more prominent?

Meh; regionalism.  The northwestern corner of the continent is more
likely to kill time in a pub than a bowling alley.  Perhaps add adult
shop/strip club for Oregon and Washington (as the northwest has so many
of these they make handy points of reference).

> Let's brainstorm ... what would you have OSM data look like in USA.
>
> For extra credit, can it also look good in Canada and Mexico?  Can we
> show hockey rinks? ;-)

Considering Tulsa's most prominent downtown landmark (Bank of Oklahoma
Center) is a hockey arena, I'm thinking this isn't Canada-specific.  ;o)